Happy gas/ laughing gas is available to help you relax during dental treatment. It is one of the safest and effective agents that is mixed with oxygen and inhaled through a small mask over your nose.
It is not intended to make you sedated, and you will be fully awake and but in a comfortable state.
For your safety, we use the only happy gas system in Australia that complies with all Australian standards, policies, and guidelines with all the safety features.
There are many advantages of using happy gas.
- Happy gas works very rapidly, and the depth of analgesia can be altered by the dentist there and then.
- Happy gas also has pain killing properties.
- No injection is required. You simply breathe in through the nasal mask.
- It has very few side effects and can be used in children as well as adults.
- It is very effective in minimizing gag reflex
- The gas is eliminated from the body within 3 to 5 minutes after the gas supply is stopped and therefore you do not need an escort.
- It is much cheaper than having IV sedation
Some of the disadvantages are.
- People who cannot breathe through the nose may not be able to use this technique.
- Possible over-sedation with high percentage of happy gas. However, this is rare as the dentist will control the amount of the gas and will closely monitor.
- May not be enough for some, and IV sedation may be more appropriate for severe anxiety.